Saturday, January 12, 2008

Lemon Yoghurt Cake. Or what to bake when you have nothing in the cupboard

I love reading cookbooks. I can read them for hours dreaming about what I could make. I love the photos, the possibilities. What I don’t really do so much is bake desserts, though i like looking at photos of them. They seem fiddly, time consuming and then there is a cake and only 2 people to eat it. Which isn’t really a problem except Nath has no stop mechanism. Ok neither do I…Actually I think I have only made 3 cakes in my life and all in the last 12 months. A carrot cake for Naths birthday (after much begging), a chocolate flourless cake (so so good) and now a yoghurt cake. This was served with macerated fruit, and a dollop of icecream. And it fed us 3 times so that’s pretty decent for the amount of mess I made (whisking up eggs is not my forte)…


Taken from Neil Perry’s good food…

Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 22cm spring form cake tin and line with baking paper. Beat 4 egg yolks with 100g sugar to a thick, pale cream. Beat in 3tbs plain flour until smooth, 400g of Greek style yoghurt, and then the zest and juice of a lemon. The 4 egg whites are then whisked until stiff and folded into the yoghurt mixture. The mixture is poured into the prepared tin and baked for 50 minutes. After cooling, dust the cake with icing sugar. This is a bit like a cheese cake, except lower in fat (I used fat free greek yoghurt and it worked fine)

To make a fruit salad, place fruit such as peaches, blueberries and mango into a bowl with lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar. Split a vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds and combine with the fruit mixture. Cover and set aside for at least an hour at room temperature to macerate.

No comments: